Breastfeeding Basics | Reasons to Breastfeed Your Baby

Bond with Your Child - Basics of Breastfeeding

If you have just entered motherhood then breastfeeding is one of the best gifts that you can give to your new born. It is not only free and portable but also something intended by nature. Moreover, if you are planning to go back to work then the idea breastfeeding your child is one of the best ways to bond with them.

In the beginning though it may seem like a chore to you. But gradually, with good planning and little start up it will become a second nature for you. The benefits of it are amazing. Also, the relief that you will experience, the very moment that you pick up your baby and reconnect in this beautiful manner, is going to be incomparable. Breast feeding also helps you to get back your pre-motherhood weight very quickly apart from the energy boost that you experience.

Basics of Breastfeeding

  • Co Sleeping: It is very essential as it helps to stay close to the baby. This helps you to make sure that there is adequate milk supply all the while that you work during the day. Remember that the best milk can be provided during the night time. Though co sleeping has been considered to be controversial.
  • Appropriate Clothing: Make sure that the kind of clothes that you wear does not prohibit you from pumping. The nursing bra that you have should be good and easy to access.
  • Stay rested: If you do not get proper rest then the supply of your milk will suffer. So it is important that you get enough sleep. Also seek help when you feel tired.
  • Consistent Schedule: During the waking hours you may have to use breast pump. You will also need to feed your baby every three hours. Thus the first thing that you need to do is pump in order to ensure that there is enough milk supply in order to feed your baby.
  • Essential to remain nourished and hydrated: Drink as much water as you can. Make it a habit drink it all day long. Apart from water also ensure that you have enough nourishing and healthy food next to you at all times. Also eat a lot of green vegetables. It has been found that drinking fennel tea will help you increase your milk supply.

Reasons to Breastfeed your baby

Breast milk is a natural produce. As it is produced naturally it provides the basic nutrition that is required for the baby in the initial months. There are three distinct stages of breast milk: colostrum, transitional and mature milk.

Colostrum:
It is the first stage of the different stages of breast milk. Colostrum occurs at the time of pregnancy and lasts for several days after the baby is born. It is either creamy or yellowish in colour. The milk produced at this stage is thicker than that which is produced at later stage of breastfeeding. Colostrum milk is high in immunoglobulin, minerals, fat soluble vitamins and protein. The immunoglobulin helps to provide passive immunity to the baby as it contains antibodies that is passed on from the mother to the child. This in turn keeps the baby protected from all kinds of viral and bacterial illness. After around two to four days this milk is replaced by transitional milk.

Transitional milk:
This milk is produced after colostrum and lasts for around two weeks. There is high level of water soluble vitamins, lactose and fat in this milk. It also contains more number of calories then colostrum.

Mature milk:
This is the final milk produced by the mother. This milk helps to maintain the hydration level of the baby and hence has 90% water content. The remaining 10% consists of the fats, proteins and carbohydrates which are essential for energy and growth of the baby. Mature milk is of two types: hind milk and foremilk.

The foremilk is that which is the baby gets at the beginning of feeding. It also consists of high level of protein, vitamin and water. The hind milk on the other hand is released after the initial release of the fore milk. Hind milk helps the baby to gain weight as it contains high level of fat.

Both these milk is essential for the baby receive complete nourishment which in turn helps it to develop and grow properly.